Crispy Corn Fritters with Fresh Cilantro
- Canola oil for deep-frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 Tbs. minced yellow onion
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
1. Pour oil to a depth of at least 3 inches into a large, heavy saucepan, preferably cast iron, and heat over high heat to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Preheat an oven to 200°F Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet and place near the stove.
2. While the oil is heating, in a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs and pour into the well in the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Gently fold in the corn, onion and cilantro.
3. In batches to avoid crowding, add tablespoonfuls of the batter to the hot oil. Deep-fry the fritters until golden brown, turning once at the halfway point, about 3 minutes. Using a wire skimmer or a metal slotted spoon, transfer to the rack and keep warm in the oven while you fry the remaining fritters. Serve immediately. Makes about 24 fritters.