Sichuan Tuna Burgers
- 1 1/2 lb. tuna steak, cut into small chunks
- 1 Tbs. red miso paste
- 1/2 tsp. prepared wasabi
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 4 green onions, white and pale green parts, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) pieces
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill.
2. Chop the tuna finely enough so that when you press some between your fingers, it clings to itself. Do not chop so finely that it becomes mushy. You can use a sharp knife and a sturdy cutting board or a food processor. If using a food processor, use the pulse button and be careful to stop pulsing before the fish is reduced to a puree.
3. Transfer the fish to a bowl and mix in the miso, wasabi, soy sauce and green onions just until well blended. Do not overmix. Using a light touch, with wet hands, form the mixture into 4 patties no
5. Brush the grill grate and coat with oil. Coat the patties on both sides with the oil. Put the patties on the grate, cover the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the burgers and cook uncovered for 3 minutes longer for medium-rare. Add 1 minute per side for medium-well.
6. To toast the buns, place them, cut side down, on the grate over the fire 1 minute before the burgers are ready. If serving the burgers directly from the grill, serve on the buns. If the burgers will sit for even a few minutes, keep the buns and burgers separate until just before eating. Serves 4