Here in Maine it has been unseasonably warm and humid.
Baked Cinnamon Pears with Caramel Sauce
- 3 firm but ripe pears, such as Bosc
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup apple juice or cider, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (purchased) warmed
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F
2. Cut the pears in half lengthwise, keeping the stem intact, and core.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Using your hands or a pastry brush, rub the butter mixture all over the pears. Place the pears, cut side down, in a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking dish. Pour the apple juice around the pears.
4. Bake the pears for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the pears, and add more apple juice as needed. Continue baking until the pears are soft when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 30 minutes longer.
5. Transfer the pears to a platter and drizzle with caramel sauce. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.