Change Of Seasons
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 lb. bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (about 6 large thighs)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime, plus more juice if needed
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and shredded Monterey jack cheese for serving
- 12 to 18 corn tortillas, 6 inches in diameter, warmed
1. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cumin, and 1 tsp. salt. Season the chicken with the spice mixture.
2. Arrange the chicken thighs in a single layer in the slow cooker. Sprinkle evenly with the lime zest and lime juice, then pour in the broth. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. The chicken should be very tender and opaque throughout.
3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. When just cool enough to handle, bone the chicken and discard the bones and any fat or gristle. Using your fingers or 2 forks, shred the meat into bite-size pieces. Transfer the meat to a serving bowl. Using a large spoon, skim off and discard the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Moisten the meat with some of the cooking liquid, then taste and season the meat with more lime juice and salt if needed.
4. Put the lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and cheese in separate bowls and place on the table along with the chicken and the tortillas and let diners make their own tacos. Serves 6