- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- salt to taste
- 8 ounces spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided, or as needed
- 1 1/4 cups orecchiette pasta, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped arugula, or to taste
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion with a pinch of salt in hot oil until onion is soft and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir sausage into onions; cook and stir until sausage is broken up and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups chicken broth into sausage mixture and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add orecchiette pasta; cook and stir pasta in hot broth, adding remaining broth when liquid is absorbed, until pasta is cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir arugula into pasta-sausage mixture until arugula wilts. Ladle pasta into bowls and dust with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.