Roasted Chicken with Fingerling Potatoes and Carrots
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and left whole or cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large shallots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
1. Preheat an oven to 450°F
2. In a small bowl, stir together the butter, 1/2 tsp. pepper, the paprika, cumin and coriander until well blended. Pat the chicken dry and rub the seasoned butter evenly on the outside of the chicken. Season generously with salt.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, carrots, shallots and oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables to a large ovenproof skillet and spread in a single layer. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone, registers 50 to 65 minutes.