- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (can sub half the basil leaves with baby spinach)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (can sub chopped walnuts)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
Special equipment:Ninja Blender
Method1 Pulse basil and pine nuts in a Blender : Place the basil leaves and pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a several times.
2: Add the garlic and cheese: Add the garlic and Parmesan or Romano cheese and pulse several times more. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
3 Stream in the olive oil: Slowly add the olive oil in a steady small stream. Occasionally stop to scrape down the sides of the blender.
4 Stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper, add more to taste.